For any artist, if you go visit the paint supply store it can be a magical but costly trip. You get lost in all the entire colours and the material available that instead of buying just that one thing you need; you end up piling many things into your cart. This type of behaviour can be dangerous and bad for your bank account. If you are an artist and you want to budget everything down you need to be more careful.
As an artist, you should consider purchasing cheap art supplies regardless if you are making a good sale on your work or not. It is more economical to buy something budget friendly and make it work rather than buying the most expensive thing out there.
Here are a few tips to help you save money on art material:
- Try and stick to one store so that you become a regular client. This means that you can walk up to the counter and ask if they have a special discount for repeat clients. In the event that the store does not accommodate this you can always find another store, even if you have to drive a few minutes further away. Isn’t it better to be able to buy things on credit once in a while?
- Do not use paint unnecessarily when working on your craft. Try and use up the excess paint lying on your palette. Be mindful as to how much paint is needed and how much you actually put on your palette. You can buy tubes of glazes, which are very thin and can be stretched easily. If the art needs texture, use some old newspaper, fibrous paper or used paper so that you don’t need to buy textured paint to make your work have the desired effect.
- Coupons will save your life. Watch out for the coupons on newspapers or online which give you the best deal.
- You can always stretch out your own canvas, which means that you don’t need to buy the pre-stretched canvas available which are very expensive. You will be able to stretch the canvas to the desired size and have a little bit of fun with it.
- They say that buying in bulk saves a lot of money and this is accurate. So buy in bulk will also mean you will get a discount from a discount art supplies Australia store.
- Look after all your existing supplies; clean them, wipe them and keep them dry so that you don’t need to buy new ones to replace the damaged ones.
Using a few of these tips, and you will be able to save a little more than you plan for.